My Charter

The social, political and technological trends that affect how we live may interact unpredictably, but that doesn't mean logic and imagination can't guide us to better outcomes. Blaugury observes the strange goings on and raises a red flag, when needed.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

On The Road (And Way Off)


As an American male in good standing, I might be able to get into this whole blogging thing more easily if I could just climb into my car and drive there. I’d tap the address into my trusty GPS unit and follow the turn-by-turn instructions -- and because I zeroed out her voice within the first few hours of operation, I wouldn't have to listen to the humorless woman who lives there. After a quiet interlude I’d arrive at my destination: Blog Heaven. Or at least Blog Limbo or Blog Purgatory. Not Heaven, but not Hell, either.
Hmm, let’s just see where this whole driving thing takes us.
It’s clear driving is considered a birthright in this country, and I remain mystified why our Founding Fathers didn’t spare a few words for the “freedom of the road” somewhere in the Bill of Rights. (Actually, I think the Declaration of Independence manages to cover it with “pursuit of happiness” -- something which the automobile has managed to turn into a high-speed chase.) Getting a license to drive is a right of passage, for male and female, alike. Having an automobile of one’s own is a grant of seemingly absolute power over physical inertia and boredom. Driving should be glorious, liberating . . . but it’s not.
Instead of joy, too often I’ve experienced Hell-on-Wheels: More than three decades of commuting in Los Angeles; three years of navigating quirky and narrow European byways; three days stuck in Rome’s glacial traffic. I’ve driven on the wrong side of the road (the UK), legally and well. I've been a passenger in NYC taxis. Worse, I’ve even endured cold sweats on bus tours in Egypt, where people think nothing of crossing busy six-lane highways, on foot, pausing on the white lines, as if they’re magically safe there. (In reality, of course, those lines are invisible to Alexandria’s furious drivers, who care little for the rules of the road, and not a fig for pedestrians.)



Alexandria, Egypt


Obviously I survived to write this post, but even though I’m retired and living in Georgia, I can find Hell by getting into my car. While far removed from my cultural roots, the South is a truly beautiful part of the country; but its roads are home to a maddeningly inconsistent breed of driver. Emphasis on maddeningly inconsistent: People here politely observe proper queueing etiquette at traffic bottlenecks, yet also pull out into oncoming traffic -- slow as blackstrap molasses, heedless of the cannon-balling semitrailer rig they’ve just cut off. 
Such risky/stupid behavior makes me crazy, and I react by swearing a lot. When my wife is in the car with me, she gets angry, too -- not because of my language (I tend to favor creative, occasionally humorous invective), but because of the volume: she has to hear me, and the people I’m swearing at generally don’t. (Confession: I blow my horn, too, but not as often as I used to because people here carry guns.) Truth is I want to do a better job of keeping cool at the wheel, but the insanity of the average driver makes it hard.
And then I saw Russian dashboard camera videos! 
First, a little background: Russian courts prefer video footage to eyewitness testimony. Because mayhem is so common on that country’s roads -- chain reaction pileups, road rage incidents, staged accidents and insurance fraud, police corruption, etc. -- dashboard cameras are ubiquitous. And even in cases where videos aren’t needed in court, the Internet provides an insatiable appetite for bizarre and shocking footage. 
Because so much of the craziness exceeds the written word's capacity to describe, I'm providing the following links to compilations of Russian dashcam footage. They are testimony to a driving environment that would challenge the sanity of even the hardiest motoring soul. If the reader still can’t believe his or her eyes, try a few search strings on YouTube. Eventually you’ll be convinced. Or rendered catatonic.
Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:



There are plenty more where those came from: an entire subculture is devoted to them, including subscription video channels and busy Facebook pages. If you’re like me you find the images to be, in no particular order, stunning, amusing, horrifying, inexplicable. All your years of driving -- especially if they’ve been spent exclusively in the USA, Australia or Europe -- will have prepared you not at all for what’s in some of the clips: High-speed passing of slow or stopped traffic, where there’s no hope of doing so safely. Trucks and cars careening through icy intersections, ignoring signal lights, road signs, police and other vehicles. Crumbling infrastructures transforming thoroughfares into minefields and obstacle courses. 
The spectacular crashes and harrowing near-misses are enough to make me treasure the average American driver. (But I still watch them like a hawk, because I never know when they’ll suddenly turn “mad Russian.”) Fortunately for actual Russians, the whole truth isn’t quite as disturbing as the videos imply. In terms of traffic-related death rates, with 18.6 deaths per 100,000 people, Russia is middle-of-the-road. (More illuminating would be fatalities/mile driven, but that info is not available.) The USA, by comparison, comes in at a relatively benign 10.4. (Pity the poor Eritreans who suffer 48.4 traffic-related fatalities per 100,000 people. Someone should send them some dash cams)
I’m pleased to report at least one happy ending: a YouTube video I saw several months ago showed a young man getting out of his car to help an old woman, who was trying, and failing, to cross a busy road. While the 35 angelic seconds didn’t exactly erase the 15 or so minutes of devilish carnage that preceded it on the compilation, it left me with a sense that the very best humanity has to offer is behind at least some of those steering wheels.
* * *


So, what’s the Blaugury trend-analysis point of this post? Given the horror show of hurtling metal monsters and traffic scofflaws, what would help to slow the headlong rush toward greater and greater highway carnage? Certainly social pressures matter little because, inside our little castles on wheels, anti-social behavior is only a rude gesture away. Politics -- formal state and municipal vehicle codes -- and the informal rules of the road, exist only to be broken. Does technology offer us any hope?
There are some things on the horizon that may yet play a part:


For me, it’s the last bullet point that really puts things in perspective. Seriously, is there any possibility that driverless automobiles will catch on in this country? (Go ahead, laugh some more; doctors say it’s good for you.)
In a nation where so many citizens consider registering firearms a dangerous infringement of individual freedoms, and believe background checks and waiting periods unthinkable invasions of anyone’s (even a mentally unstable terrorist’s or former felon’s) right to “bear arms” and “resist tyranny,” is there any reason to hope Americans will be willing to turn their wheels over to specialized versions of their home computers?
I think not -- at least not anytime soon -- and I’ll try to explain why next time.

photo credit: M. E. Mendrygal

No comments:

Post a Comment